02 May 23

Hello, I wonder how many landlords are NOT aware that they must be registered with the ICO (Information Commissioners Office) for the Data Protection Registrar. I received my renewal today (£35 yearly).

Whether you are a Ltd company, partnership or just you, it is almost certain you need to be registered and there are very few exceptions.

It doesn’t matter whether you only have 1 property or hundreds. Even if you use a letting agent it is very likely you still need to be registered and the letting agent can’t do this for you.

It is all to do with keeping the tenant’s personal data secure.

So if you hold any information for the tenant, it is likely you must register. At the beginning of a tenancy you must provide a copy of the GDPR (General Data Protection Regulations) – or a link to them as they are at least 30 pages long (along with all the other pre-tenancy stuff like EICR and Gas certificate).

If you don’t, then if it comes to court for an eviction or a non-paying tenant, the tenant could argue the tenancy hasn’t been set up correctly so your case may fail.

So, be aware of this requirement.

Editor: Landlords and agents might be interested in this page on the ICO’s website about ‘Paying a data protection fee – real estate sector‘.

Link to original article

Thank you for reading

Need to discuss your issue? Confidential Call: 0208 088 0788 now.

Or fill in our contact form here.

Keep up with the latest from Landlord Licensing & Defence…

Subscribe to our YouTube Channel to find all our videos on Regulations, RRO, HMOs and much more! 

Join our private Facebook Group where you’ll find a support network of other landlords and experts as well as case studies and how to avoid council fines.

Follow us on Social Media for the latest in Property and Licensing…

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}