Tenants Landlords EPCs

05 Dec 2022

A local authority is urging landlords and tenants to “have a chat” and work together to improve the EPC rating of rented properties.

Wrexham Council in Wales has issued a statement saying: “If you rent your home – or you’re considering renting – ask the landlord to show you the Energy Performance Certificate for the property. An EPC will tell you how energy efficient the building is, and could give you an idea of what the heating costs will be.

“By law, most properties in Wales need an EPC before they can be rented out. The only exceptions are bedsits or room-lets with a shared kitchen, toilet or bathroom, and rooms in halls of residence or hostels.

“EPC ratings range from ‘A’ to ‘G’ – with ‘A’ being the best rating, and ‘G’ being the worst.”

The council statement, aimed at existing and potential private renters, continues: “If you’re renting or considering renting, it’s worth asking the landlord for a copy of the EPC. Rising fuel costs are making it more expensive to heat a home, but living in a property that’s energy efficient could help keep your fuel bills down.

“Unless the property is exempt, a rented property should have a minimum rating of ‘E.’ Any less and your landlord could be breaking the law.

“As a tenant, you might be able to improve the building by applying for an energy efficiency grant, or by encouraging your landlord to apply. Have a chat and see if you can work together.”

Link to original article

Thank you for reading

Need to discuss your issue? Confidential Call: 0208 088 0788 now.

Or fill in our contact form here.

Keep up with the latest from Landlord Licensing & Defence…

Subscribe to our YouTube Channel to find all our videos on Regulations, RRO, HMOs and much more! 

Join our private Facebook Group where you’ll find a support network of other landlords and experts as well as case studies and how to avoid council fines.

Follow us on Social Media for the latest in Property and Licensing…

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}