Council licensing SA, AirBnB, Holiday Lets

30 Aug 23

A landlord showed a “flagrant disregard” for her duties, including failing to replace a condemned boiler, and has been struck off.

In Scotland there is a mandatory register of private landlords and Glasgow’s licensing committee has removed Madiha Tariq after hearing how she failed to provide basic gas and electrical safety certificates.

An inspection of her property in the city – back in 2018 – found damp and mould on walls, a Do Not Use sign on a boiler, gutters in need of repair and radiators in poor condition.

The tenant had recently advised inspectors that she continued to use the boiler having allegedly signed a disclaimer letter.

A council official says the landlord, who did not attend the licensing hearing this month, had five properties in the city.

The case was taken to the housing and property chamber of the first-tier tribunal for Scotland. The chamber ruled in July 2019 that the landlord had failed to comply with a repairing standard enforcement order and a rent relief order slashed the rent by 90 per cent.

The chamber’s most recent decision says: “The overwhelming evidence was that the landlord simply failed to engage with the tenant at any level in relation to the condition of the property.

“Only the most minimal attention has been paid to her obligations.

“The tribunal considered that the landlord’s continuing failure to comply with her duties is a matter of the utmost concern. 

“She has failed to provide basic safety certificates in respect of gas and electrical installations, and has failed to attend to a service, replacement or repair of a condemned central heating boiler.

“The tribunal has rarely been faced with such a flagrant disregard for the duties of a landlord and takes the most serious view of the situation.”

Councillor Alex Wilson, who chairs the licensing committee, comments: “The failure to provide gas certificates, carbon monoxide, legionella, these are all things that can lead to death, and certainly to injury.

“I think the fact that they haven’t provided any of these items timeously is of great concern to this committee, given the fact we have a history in this city where there were a couple of deaths due to fire.”

Link to original article

Thank you for reading

Need to discuss your issue? Confidential Call: 0208 088 0788 now.

Or fill in our contact form here.

Keep up with the latest from Landlord Licensing & Defence…

Subscribe to our YouTube Channel to find all our videos on Regulations, RRO, HMOs and much more! 

Join our private Facebook Group where you’ll find a support network of other landlords and experts as well as case studies and how to avoid council fines.

Follow us on Social Media for the latest in Property and Licensing…

Follow us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

{"email":"Email address invalid","url":"Website address invalid","required":"Required field missing"}